From Monday 19 January 2015, from 7-9pm, Jamie will be teaching an ‘Introduction to Creative Writing’ class in Kylemore College. It is a ten week course on the fundamental elements of creative writing, including: voice, plot, character, setting, and dialogue. There will also be an introduction to how the publishing industry works and how to best submit work to publishers and agents.
From week three on, there will be a workshop element into the module for those who are currently working on fiction projects and would like to get feedback on their work.
Aims of the Course
- Insight into the hurdles to be overcome in beginning a piece of fiction
- Some ideas on how these can be overcome
- A basic understanding of how to edit prose
- An appreciation of the importance of voice in fiction writing
- A sense of how to go about writing dialogue.
- Introduction to key texts, examining how great writers wrote
- How the publishing industry works and how they can submit their work to agents and publishers
For more information on the course, you can visit the Kylemore College site here.